Thread: Sri Lanka to pick a new cricket captain next week

ridoy is offline School Cricketer

Sri Lanka to pick a new cricket captain next week

Apr 16, Colombo: Sri Lanka Cricket selectors are to meet next week to select a team captain following the resignation of Kumar Sangakkara from captaincy after the World Cup.

"The selectors need to discuss the issue with the interim committee members of Sri Lanka Cricket. This meeting will take place next week after the current New Year holiday period," Chairman of selectors Duleep Mendis, told the local media.

Sangakkara, currently the skipper of the Deccan Chargers in the Indian Premier League (IPL), stepped down after Sri Lanka's finish as runners-up at the World Cup, although according to him, the decision to resign was taken before the World Cup.

Following the World Cup loss to India, Sangakkara's deputy Mahela Jayawardene and the Selectors Committee led by former batsman Aravinda de Silva also resigned.

Sangakkara said his decision was made prior to the 2011 World Cup and he was giving a chance for the selectors to name a captain who would lead the team in the next World Cup to be held in Australia and New Zealand in 2015.

"I will be 37 by the next World Cup and I cannot therefore be sure of my place in the team. It is better that Sri Lanka is led now by a player who will be at the peak of their career during that tournament," Sangakkara said.

However he has said that he has offered to continue as the Test captain for the forthcoming series with England and possibly Australia if the selectors believe this would help the new captain and aid the transition.

Sri Lanka's prolific batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan is expected to be named as the new captain.

Cabinet96 is offline Coach
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ridoy View Post
    "I will be 37 by the next World Cup and I cannot therefore be sure of my place in the team. It is better that Sri Lanka is led now by a player who will be at the peak of their career during that tournament," Sangakkara said.

Sri Lanka's prolific batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan is expected to be named as the new captain.
    This completely contradicts itself. Dilshan is 34 so will be 38 at the next world cup. How will he be at the peak of his career when he is 38. Surely Mathews should be named captain as the reason Sangakara has resigned has been to look to the future.
    Playing left arm spin better than the national side, since the age of 12
    Kallis a minnow basher you say?
    FTB you say?

I know man!!! I think they're just making an excuse. Either Sangakarra wants to step down or there is some internal tussle going on!